Are you a pharmacy technician, or planning to renew your pharmacy technician license by completing continuing education for renewal purposes? Are you confused about the steps involved in Virginia license renewal and Continuing Education for pharmacy technicians? Worry not!
In this article, you will learn all about the steps involved in the Virginia license renewal and continuing education process for pharmacy technicians and the requirements set by the state.
Steps Involved in Continuing Education for Pharmacy Technicians in Virginia
Pharmacy technicians in the U.S. are required to complete the required Continuing Education hours to be able to proceed with the license renewal process. Continuing Education (CE) is completed by pharmacy technicians at regular intervals.
CE is helpful in staying updated on new information, practices, and activities followed in the field of pharmacy. Generally, pharmacy technicians are offered the option of taking up their Continuing Education both online and offline. This helps to equip themselves with the required knowledge and skills once in 1 or 2 years.
STEP 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Continuing Education for pharmacy technicians in Virginia has to be completed once every 2 years. In order to receive recertification as pharmacy technicians, the first step is to verify your eligibility with the respective board or department.
The eligibility criteria for pharmacy technicians set for Continuing Education in Virginia are as follows:
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 5 hours of Continuing Education (CE) per calendar year.
- All the candidates are required to complete their Continuing Education hours in that is related to their professional work and practice as a pharmacy technician.
STEP 2: RECORD YOUR CE HOURS
Once you have verified your eligibility to apply for Continuing Education for pharmacy technicians, the next step is to record your Continuing Education hours.
You can use the CPE Monitor to record your CE hours. It is a service offered by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). You can use this service by creating a profile by logging into the NABP official website and creating your e-Profile ID.
You will have to enter the CE hours manually if you are earning Continuing Education hours from a non-accredited CE provider. Make sure to upload the relevant documents in the PTCB application stating the completion of your Continuing Education.
STEP 3: APPLY FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION
The next step is to apply for Continuing Education with an accredited CE provider. Make sure to verify the following details:
- CE providers must be accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE). The providers with target audience designation ‘T’ (Techincian-specific) are accepted.
- CE providers with target audience designation ‘P’ (Pharmacist-specific) are also accepted.
You can also check out the PTCB’s CE Directory to quickly find free CE programs and complete CE more easily.
STEP 4: RENEW YOUR LICENSE WITH CONTINUING EDUCATION
The last step for pharmacy technicians in Continuing Education in Virginia is to apply for renewal with your Continuing Education hours. Here are a few steps for pharmacy technicians must follow when you apply for a Virginia license renewal:
- Candidates must have completed 5 hours of Continuing Education or 0.5 Continuing Education Units that is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
- Verify if you have earned the required CE hours per the requirement set by the state of Virginia.
- Make sure that your pharmacy technician license is in active status at the time you apply for renewal.
- Submit your application, along with all the required fees, to process your Virginia license renewal.
Steps Involved in Virginia License Renewal for Pharmacy Technicians
As a pharmacy technician, you are required to renew your license regularly by completing the required continuing education hours. Virginia license renewal has to be done every 2 years.
STEP 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Before you begin the Virginia license renewal procedure, the first step is to verify if you are eligible to apply for the license renewal. Make sure that your pharmacy technician license is active at the time you apply for renewal.
STEP 2: ELIGIBILITY FOR RENEWAL
The eligibility criteria set for the Virginia license renewal program for pharmacy technicians are as follows:
- All the pharmacy technicians must have completed at least 5 hours of Continuing Education (CE).
- Pharmacy technicians must complete CE hours every 2 years.
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) requires candidates to have completed continuing education hours related to their professional work and practice as pharmacy technicians.
STEP 3: APPLY FOR RENEWAL
Once you have verified your eligibility to apply for the Virginia License Renewal, the next step is to apply for license renewal.
Likewise, as a pharmacy technician applying for the Virginia license renewal, you must apply for the renewal prior to the expiration date. All healthcare professionals are provided with a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
You may email the Agency’s Call Center at CallCenter@dhp.virginia.gov if you have not received your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
The PIN is provided by the Virginia Department of Health Professions. This number is provided along with the license renewal notice. Candidates can renew their pharmacy technician license online by visiting the official website of the Virginia Department of Health Professions.
STEP 4: PAY YOUR RENEWAL FEES
Now that you have applied for Virginia pharmacy technicians’ license renewal, you must pay the required fees for the department to further process your renewal request.
The Virginia license renewal fee details for pharmacy technicians are as follows:
- Pharmacy technician registration – $35 (due no later than December 31).
- Pharmacy technician training program – $ 100 (every 2 years).
If you have failed to renew your pharmacy technician license in Virginia for more than a year after the expiration date, you will have to pay a reinstatement fee to be eligible to renew the licensure. The reinstatement fee details for pharmacy technicians are as follows:
- Pharmacy technician registration – $45.
- Pharmacy technician registration after suspension or revocation – $165.
STEP 5: SCHEDULE YOUR RENEWAL PROCESS
Once you have paid all the required fees, the next step is to schedule the Virginia license renewal. To begin with the online Virginia license renewal process, visit the Renew Online section on the official website.
The information that has to be provided, along with the Virginia license renewal request, are as follows:
- Date of Birth.
- Full Name.
- 10-Digit Virginia License Number.
- Last 4 Digits of the Social Security Number.
STEP 6: RECEIVE YOUR RENEWED LICENSE
Last but not least, the final step is to receive your renewed pharmacy technician license from the department in Virginia. Most of the time, the license of a pharmacy technician will be renewed within 30 mins of completing the renewal payment.
To check the status of the Virginia license renewal for pharmacy technicians, you can visit the License Lookup page to learn about your license status.
It is essential for all pharmacy technicians to complete and earn the required hours of Continuing Education and apply for license renewal. CE helps in equipping your knowledge and skills in the field of pharmacy. It also helps to educate you with new information and practices in the pharmacy technician field.
If you are planning to take the PTCB exam or know someone who is planning to take the PTCB exam, make sure to refer to our free practice test to help you prepare for the exam.